Sunday, July 7, 2013

I Zested a Lemon with a...


I have been staying at my parents' house more often lately. This means more kitchen gadgets and counter space and therefore, more cooking! I am trying to explore cooking as an additional creative outlet for me and have been enjoying it.

After a trip to the store (maybe a couple), I was ready to create. Until I realized I still didn't have everything I needed.

I wanted to zest a lemon. 
I had the lemon. 
But I didn't have a zester. 
(I may or may not know what a zester is or looks like, but it seems like one of those things you would know if you saw. )

I wasn't about to run out to the store again, so I looked around for something that would work. A knife seemed dangerous. So I put the knife away. And then...

I saw it. My solution. 

The Cheese Grater.

Zesting. Grating. 
Sounds pretty close to me. 


And close enough it was... I zested the lemon with a cheese grater.

Fast forward. Next day. Baking cookies. (Another one of those things in the English language that doesn't make sense... why do we say we bake COOKies? Anyway...)

I wanted to make circle sugar cookie cut outs. 

Dough? check. 
Preheated oven? check. 

Rolling pin?.. um... 
Circle cookie cutter?.. um...

(I do have a vague memory of possibly breaking the rolling pin handles off. Oops.)
Again, not about to go back to the store. So here was what I found around the kitchen as my solution.

Rolling pin- Round glass. 
Cookie cutter- round tupperware lip.


Doubling up the kitchen gadgets' functions worked quite well. Come back later to see what I created after all this!


Have you ever used anything around the house for something it wasn't made for? How did it work? Any other ideas of what I could have used?

No comments:

Post a Comment