Monday, April 15, 2013

Wood, Yarn, and Nails... A Quick Craft Post!

A friend of mine made me something similar to this with wire and that is where I got the idea. But for this one I used yarn. This was a gift for my Grand Little (my Little's Little!) and I used yarn instead of wire. Of course it is blue and blue for Kappa and I made our sorority letters but you could spell out any word or name. It's a multi step process but not too hard! Forewarning: a hammer and nails are involved.

I bought this wood at Joann's but you could use any piece of wood you have laying around.

Hopefully you don't get paint on the carpet like I did but if you do, immediate water does wonders to get it out!

I painted the board and let it dry.

Print or draw letters that you can cut out and trace. I traced them with dots, only where I wanted to put the nails.

This pack of nails was from Target but you could use any nails from around your house. This really is a good project for using up miscellaneous hardware!
  

Pound the nails into the outline of the letters leaving about 0.5-0.75" raised up. This doesn't look like the letters now but it will with the yarn. 

Tie the yarn onto one corner and start wrapping around the outline. When the letter outline is as thick as you want it (I went around about 4 times) tie it off around a nail or to the tail of yarn from where you began. I tied two tails into a bow. Do this for the whole word, each letter separate. I also added a key charm for an added touch off the last letter. 


Finish embellishing in anyway you like! I used puffy paint to add the statement, "Kappa is for Life!"

If you made one of these, what word would you make?


No comments:

Post a Comment