Wednesday, April 17, 2013

My New To-Do List



 I’m a big fan of TO-DO Lists. Crossing things off is so satisfying. I like feeling productive. I like having a clear goal. But typically my To Do List looks something like this:

  1.  Read for class
  2.  Go grocery shopping
  3.  Put laundry away
  4.  Answer email
  5.  Take out my trash
  6.  Get gas for my car
  7.  Write a paper

All these things are necessary. Yes it is satisfying to have clean laundry and get that homework assignment done. To have an uncluttered inbox and an uncluttered room. But as I read Romans 12 this morning, a new To-Do List popped out at me. A list of things with so much more eternal value. A list that furthers God’s kingdom and builds up those around me. So what is on my new To-Do List? Here it is: 
  1. To genuinely and whole-heartedly love. My God and everyone He has brought into my life. To build relationships and show honor and respect to everyone around me. –Romans 12:9-10
  2.  Seek the good. Look for the good in everyday. Hold onto that good. –Romans 12:9
  3. Continuously fuel yourself and be enthusiastic about serving God. Always be ready to serve Him by continuously fueling yourself with the Spirit. This might also include resting in His presence to recharge when necessary. –Romans 12:11
  4.  Rejoice in hope. Be cheerful and thankful that Jesus is who He says He is and that His promises will come true. –Romans 12:12
  5. Be patient in tribulation. Try not to get discouraged when the going gets tough. Stay motivated. Stay determined. Keep moving forward. –Romans 12:12
  6. Be constant in prayer. Pray for yourself. For others. For the world. Offer prayers of thanksgiving, as well as prayers of sorrow and need. And then, don’t forget to listen. Don’t forget to be patient (see #4), and don’t forget to have hope (see #3). –Romans 12:12
  7. Help those in need and share the gifts you have been given. Get creative in the ways that you help; God gave us each unique gifts. –Romans 12:13
  8. Show empathy and give everyone a chance. Live at peace with one another, not holding grudges and not judging each other. –Romans 12:15-19
  9. Be kind, even to those who hurt you. –Romans 12:14, 20


No comments:

Post a Comment