Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Desk UpCycle!

I wanted to share with you a little "up cycle" I did this summer! Moving into an apartment, I had to decide what I wanted to do with the furniture from my room at my parents' house- take it with me or leave it behind...

Well this desk was something I debated about. But I decided I wanted to give it a face lift and take it along with me. It started like this...
Well actually, rewind... 

This desk has been in my room for most of the time I have been growing up. At least 10 years... probably more. But I actually never knew the story behind it. Here it is:

When my mom was a kid, she really wanted a desk. So she saved her money up and bought a desk. This desk! Anyway, this desk has gone through many transitions. It used to be bright red. Then it was plain white. Then white with a blue top and colored knobs (as seen above). It was my mom's. It was my brother's. It was mine. 

Here is the up-cycle and what it looks like now: 


The saw the idea on Pinterest and the idea linked back to here. It was pretty easy! I loved picking out the paper to cover the drawers... I got a scrapbook paper stack from Joann's so the pages all coordinated nicely and I picked out my four favorite sheets. I have since used the paper for several other projects. I also considered my room's colors and which papers would look best with the rest of my stuff.

 After painting the desk top white and touching up the rest of the white surfaces, I added the paper with mod podge, both to glue it on and coat the top. As a finishing touch, I added the little birdie on the surface. The original knobs had several coats of paint on them so I decided to replace them with some nice but inexpensive metal ones from Lowe's. 

This was a great desk to use for trying the mod podge project and it worked well! I was happy to be able to keep the desk legacy alive!



AND this semester, finals week, I finally broke my habit of sitting on my bed to study and used my desk for what it's for...rather than as a shelf to hold piles of stuff! 

No comments:

Post a Comment